Imagine, if you will, you've had a crap day. Work sucked, there's nothing good to eat in the fridge, it's a bad night for TV, the weather sucked and other not so great things. You just feel "meh." So, you browse the internet, maybe go on Pinterest and stumble across something like this...




Suddenly your mood lifts and you feel chipper and happy and can drop the bad mood like it's hot. HA!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

One of my favorite movie quotes is from "Say Anything" (see photo if you're drawing a blank) John Cusack's character, Lloyd Dobler (best name ever) looks at his sister (real life and movie) and says, 


"Why can't you be in a good mood? How hard is it to decide to be in a good mood and be in a good mood once in a while?" 

Those motivational posters / sayings / quotes etc. are the Lloyd Dobler of this situation. 


If I'm in a bad mood I want to be in a bad mood and therefore your weak efforts to motivate me into a good mood are pointless and ultimately unwelcome. Sometimes a bad mood is necessary, it's cathartic. 


I wish now to compare motivational slogans to another item I despise  - "baby on board" signs in the back of a car. WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH! The only use I can see for these is making me check your back seat when you leave your car parked in the Walmart parking lot when it's hot (I actually do this on occasion).  That said, I do drive around with the intent to rear-end, t-bone and side swipe every car I see (I've played Grand Theft Auto) so it's best if you warn me about precious cargo before I get to you.


Now, I attempt to motivate you to buy me this sweater...