FACT. I love music, I understand that pretty much every online biography, whether it be on facebook or eharmony or whatever, usually includes that sentence. But seriously, I LOVE music. I could not live without it. It houses memories and senses and feelings and happiness and depression and helps me express anger and frustration and fear. It has smells and colours and emotions of its own. I would choose to be blind before I would give up my ability to hear music. Any movie about music, centered around music or with a decent soundtrack will grab my attention. I don't like or dislike certain genres and I try not to dismiss artists because they are top 40. If I like a song I'll listen to it regardless of the track info. I would rather listen to THESE songs on repeat than never hear music again. Music has been my worst enemy, my truest love and a best friend. I believe music is an extension of poetry and therefore I consider poems to be the base form of music.

FACT 2: This is the most personal, walls down post on this blog so far. The reason is a piece of music I found today. It's actually a spoken word poem (see above.) I have heard many musicians say they have a piece of music or a lyric they wish they had written, this is one of those for me. There is a tiny amount of background music, no melody, but his voice is instrumental, rhythmic and emotive and those elements make it music to me.

The band is "Listener"; they are, in fact, a spoken word band born from a hip-hop collective. They refer to themselves as "Talk Music". The song is "Wooden Heart" check them out here


This song is about a dream Dan had, about a coastline town that wanted to build a church but didn't have the lumber. So they salvaged wood from wrecked ships and built one. This is poetry, art, and pure passion. 

While I have you here, you should check out the first song / spoken word that convinced me spoken word poems are music.