I haven't been 16 for 11.5 years (its probably closer to 11.75 years, but I'm not 7 so I don't count that closely, always.) In fact, I don't remember a WHOLE lot of specifics about being 16. I had friends, I stressed about math and science class, I had a decent boyfriend (the first of 2 that would someday tell me he's gay), I got my drivers license and a car (my parents were worried a cougar was going to eat me while I waited for a bus to go to school 40 minutes from my house) and I was well into my love affair with playing and listening to music. Things I thought were going to ruin my life are now long forgotten and memories I thought I'd never relinquish are barely hanging on (thank goodness for my obsessive photo taking in high school). 16 was when I decided to be a music teacher, 17 was when I decided not to be a music teacher.

If I were write myself at 16 a letter, the only thing I can think to include is the advice to enjoy being 16 in 2001. In a world before over zealous airport security and border guards, before needing a passport to travel to the US. A time before an over reliance on cell phones, when Google invited you to search through only 1,326,920,000 webpages (now just searching "music" brings up over 8 billion results). On a personal note, I'd tell myself to enjoy freedom from student loans, enjoy having a very supportive family (although nagging at times). I would also remind myself to take one last, long look at Alex Trebek's moustache on Sept. 21st he would appear without it for the 1st time.



This whole entry was inspired by a fantastic video I found of a rapper / poet named George Watsky who is MUCH more eloquent than I. Every word he says is true, and beautifully spoken. I'm not 16 but he definitely inspires me and so I share him with you today.


What would you tell your 16 year old self?